Lessons learnt #1

One thing I have learnt from spending a year in Tonga is this: as a society, we buy so much stuff that is mostly unnecessary, we clutter our houses with all this stuff, and then most likely won't even notice or miss it if it went missing.

A prime example is electronics. With the amount of unnecessary technology that a person owns, it's a wonder how they don't just become a gadget. iPads, iPods, iPhones, laptops - all "needs" to be upgraded as soon as a new version comes out.

As I write this on my "antique" iPhone 3 (second hand and not even a 3S!), I remember my year in Tonga. I didn't have much stuff, but I had enough. When I got home and began decluttering my room, I realised I didn't even remember or miss most of the stuff I owned. This just goes to show how much I didn't need them in the first place. I mistook memorabilia as memories.

As an experiment for the next 12 months, I am going to declutter my entire life. Most importantly, I will not purchase anything unless:
* it is directly replacing something I have and need that is broken beyond repair; OR
* it is second hand; OR
* it is recycled.

Sneakily, I got a new camera and lens before this decision was made. Progress (or non-progress) updates may be provided in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Thought you might be interested in this...
    http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/2013/05/my-simple-home-what-i-dont-own/

    ReplyDelete