Where else but Tonga?

It’s only been three weeks into Tonga but I already feel like a local. I say ‘malei’ to everyone I ride past on the street. I speak Tongan to people at the markets where I buy fresh fruit and vege on a Saturday. I wear my kiekie every day with a black skirt, especially if I have a meeting. Heck, I even ate deep fried chicken and chips for lunch the other day, complete with a keke (deep fried flour balls) that my colleague gave me!

I guess it’s true when they call Tonga the ‘Friendly Islands’. Everyone is so friendly (most of the time) and it isn’t (too) weird if someone stops their car just to have a chat to you on the street. It’s a nice feeling when people don’t heckle you at the shops, and when you don’t have to bargain at the markets. Even the ocean water here is a friendly temperature!

Photos: Suka in my bike basket, Economics from First Principles - collecting CPI data the manual way, Teaching Tongan kids to swim



The days seem long, but time also seems like it is flying by. Work hours are generally 8:30am to 4:30pm and I’m already well into my goal of more exercise, playing touch footy twice a week, bike riding everywhere and having a swim whenever I can. It’s definitely a bonus having a group of other volunteers to help each other out and/or stuff up together, as well as watch continuous episodes of Community with.

Weekends are equally as busy. Saturdays are spent grocery shopping, afternoon naps and/or swims, digs at the flea market. Sundays are our fakapikopiko (lazy) day, where we either go to church and have a Tongan feast (from the umu – outdoor oven) or go exploring the island. I’ve seen Anahulu Cave where there is an underground freshwater pool – down a cave! Also, Pangaimotu Island, which encompasses all I have imagined about Island Living - deserted beaches, snorkelling around a shipwreck, coconuts and general lazing around (Photos below).


Where else could you get all this and more but Tonga?

0 comments:

Post a Comment