World Press 2010 Photo Exhibition

I went to the World Press 2010 Photo exhibition today, a display of professional photojournalism around the world. The exhibition was so evoking on so many levels. Many of the photographs were on the spot, amidst wars and chaos, amidst dying civilians and injured soldiers. The photographs captured moments that none of us would be able to see otherwise. The photographers themselves risked their lives to raise awareness and build recognition of world events that many of us subconsciously disengage with because it's not happening immediately around us.

One photo that really got me was one of a little girl who was found dead, buried under a mound of rubble as a result of the Israeli attack in Gaza. That one still photo, without any movement or sound, evoked so much emotion in me and almost made me shed a tear. And that is why I love photography. The power of photographs to convey emotions, events and messages never cease to amaze me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment